Mt. Isa

Mt. Isa

Monday, February 14, 2011

Transfer - Week 2/14/11



Hey,

Well, I got transferred. Not a big surprise. I'm now in the largest local mission area in the world. It’s called Mount Isa. It is about a 27 hour bus ride from Brisbane and a two hour flight. Luckily I got to take the two hour flight. I got the call that I was leaving Friday afternoon and my flight left Saturday morning. Sadly, I missed Stake Conference (in Forest Lake). It was a crazy weekend to say the least. I could only take one 23 kg checked bag and then one 7 kg carry-on. That was tough. I had to leave one of my suitcases at the mission home in Brisbane so I left a good deal of stuff. I have everything I need though so it should be just fine.

A little bit about Mt. Isa. It is a mining town and in the center of the town is a giant lead, copper, and zinc mine. Everyone in the town, basically, works in or is related to someone that works in the mine. The town is about the size of Holbrook (Arizona) from what I can see. (Actual size is approximately 22,000 people) There are a lot of Aboriginals, Aussies and then some immigrants. The branch is very small but at least we have a meeting house. There are only 3 or 4 solid Priesthood holders so it is tough. But there are really great members in the branch too. I'm hopeful for things. My companion is Elder Parkinson from Washington state (USA). He's only been out for 6 months but he's a really solid missionary and I hope I can learn a lot from him. It is hotter and drier here than in Brisbane but it will only get cooler from here on, so that is good. We have AC in our flat, thankfully, but it is a “must have” from what I'm told. Elder Coy the Elder that I'm replacing (he flew out this morning) said that a couple of weeks ago it was in the 40 Celsius (that is 104 Fahrenheit) in the shade. The heat is bad here; I'll make good use of my hat and sunnies (sunglasses). We're on all bikes so even though we might have the biggest mission area, we have to stay in town and can't go anywhere else very easily. It is going to be a great area.

The (Brisbane Australia) mission home is in Brisbane right in the middle of the city because Brisbane is where most of the missionaries are. There are only 25 or so of us in the other parts of the country (the Brisbane Mission covers most of Queensland). Sleeping in the heat (in Brisbane) didn't bother me too bad. We had a fan on us at night but now (in Mt. Isa) I have AC and my companion likes it cold too so it will be good.

Elder Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment